Blue Dots

Thursday, April 19, 2012

My Woolly Creative Space


Last Sunday we went to meet Baby Cousin and I handed over the second quilt for his enjoyment.

While in the lounge room at my brother-in-law's house I looked to one of the bookshelves and saw it full of home spun yarns in various shades from cream to chocolate brown. I'm sure I started drooling straight away as I wondered if the mere sight of it excited anyone else like it did me.

I turned to BIL, who spun the yarn, and casually said: "so, what do I have to do to get hold of some of your yarn?"

To which he responded that I was welcome to take as much as I wanted as he was actually looking for someone who would be willing to test it for knit-ability. So I chose three balls that were about 50gms and looked to be 8-10 ply, as well as one of the finer cream balls. Some of the cream coloured yarn he overheated when washing and it has actually felted slightly, and I'm keen to see how that knits up too. But I didn't want to walk away with too many balls so I left it on the shelf for now.

I have found a fair isle beanie pattern that I might give a go with the yarn - rather than just doing boring old swatches. But what a treasure! I can't wait to enjoy having lovely soft hands too from knitting with freshly spun wool.

Meanwhile at the craft desk, I'm designing Miss Seven's music book bag using Camelot Cotton's "Dancing Bug 3" fabric in pink that I picked up from the Australiasian Quilt Convention on the weekend.

What's happening in your creative space? Maybe I'll head on over here and find out.

7 comments:

  1. that wool does look nice!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jelous, I am! Yummo yarn. Tell your BIL to donate some for a giveaway on your blog. It will be a sure hit ;)
    Looking forward to seeing how it knits up - love the colours you have chosen.
    Happy creating! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your brother-in-law spins?!? Fantastic! I can't decide which colour I like the best - hope your beanie comes out well and without too much fiddling on the size/tension front! (and sorry about all the exclamation marks)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very cool to have a BIL with such an interest - I intend to make the most of it in the future. He has also dyed some of the yarns with various onion skins. Scrummy!

      Delete
  4. Lucky you! How nice to have access to freshly spun wool. My mum used to spin when I was little. I wonder if I can talk her into taking it up again so I can have handspun wool myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog. I can't knit to save myself, but that wool looks delicious! I look forward to seeing the results!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes i would probably be right beside you drooling away....nice choice

    ReplyDelete