Blue Dots

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Relative Value of Technology...


Many years ago my Gadgetman and I made a deal. He would buy a Palm Pilot (remember those - I included the picture in case you don't) and I would by an overlocker. Both were about $450 at the time.

Well, just recently was got a healthy sized tax return so it was decided - and this may sound a little familiar - I would buy that second sewing machine I had been hoping for and G'Man would buy himself an iPad.

But here's the thing.

My sewing machine costs half the amount of that overlocker all those years ago (albeit it is a base model while the overlocker wasn't). And I'm still using the overlocker.

His iPad costs about double the price of that of the Palm Pilot all those years ago. And the Palm Pilot is archived in the "can't bear to throw this away but will never use it again" box, along with all the devices that have been used since then (except the old iPhone - that operates like an iPod for our music).

I'm curious to see where things are at in another ten or so years...

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. We have several of those boxes. They also include videos of the Sydney Olympics ('just in case' we ever feel the need to relive every moment), university textbooks (too far out of date to be of use to anyone else), and a number of handbags I'll never use again. As for technology, I reckon that the sewing stuff's a winner hands-down in terms of hours/$ spent, but perhaps I'm biased!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be fair, today's sewing machine is not much different to those bought a few years ago, whereas the iPad is 8,000 times more advanced than the Palm Pilot. However, in another 3-5 years he'll be wanting a newer iPad, and your machines will most likely be working just as well as they are now.

    ReplyDelete